The Attorney General Is Sending Me Paperwork: What Do I Do?


The Texas Office of the Attorney General will initiate lawsuits when (1) a resident of Texas requests their assistance in establishing or enforcing orders for child support; (2) when a resident of Texas requests the Attorney General initiate a lawsuit to determine the paternity of a child; or (3) when a child is receiving state benefits, such as TANF, CHIPS, or Medicaid, and the State desires court orders to ensure that the child is receiving child support from one or both parents. In the last scenario listed above, the parents of the child are often sued by the Attorney General without having requested any action by their office. (In other words: Surprise! Your child got benefits from the State, now you get a suit from the State.)

When the State comes knocking on your door, the experience can be stressful and intimidating.  If you are contacted by the Texas Office of the Attorney General, whether you’ve received a request to attend a child support review conference in their office or whether you’ve been served with notice of a pending lawsuit, your first move should be calling an attorney that regularly practices in family law. The Texas Office of the Attorney General does not represent you or the other parent or any other party, they technically represent the “best interest of the child” and the best interest of the State. The Attorney General does not work for you and will not necessarily represent your best interests as a parent or your personal desires for visitation or custody. Consulting with an attorney that regularly practices in family law might be in your best interest rather than navigating this process alone.

Related Posts
  • Common Law Marriage In Texas: Often Misquoted In Bars And Everywhere Else Read More
  • Notable Family Law Cases: Holley V. Adams (1976) Read More
  • Handbook For The Recently Divorced Read More