Grandparents' Rights

Grandparents’ Rights Attorney in Victoria County, TX

Also Representing Grandparents in Dewitt, Jackson, Goliad & Calhoun Counties

Grandparents’ rights is a complex matter in Texas courts. A grandparent does have the right to access, visitation, and even custody of a grandchild but only under certain conditions. That is because Texas policy presumes that fit parents serve the best interests of their children. Therefore, a grandparent must overcome certain legal obstacles to obtain access to or custody of a grandchild. Because of the complications involved in this issue for grandparents, it is vital that you retain the services of a family law attorney experienced in this issue.

At The Pall Law Firm, we have seen many grandparents face the hardship of having their grandchild(ren) placed in shelters or foster care. We know how critical it is to have a trusted attorney on your side when fighting to change a child’s placement. In addition, if a biological parent’s rights have been terminated, we can assist you in petitioning the court to be named that child’s custodian. With 15 years of practice in handling grandparent rights cases, we work diligently to help you secure a favorable outcome through proper legal action in the family court.

Set up your confidential case review with our Victoria County grandparents’ rights lawyer at The Pall Law Firm by phone at (361) 298-3435 or online

Grandparents’ Rights in Texas

It is widely understood that grandparents can play a vital role in the lives of their grandchildren. Through family gatherings, family time spent with grandchildren, and even caring for grandchildren while parents work or are away, strong relationships can be built between these children and their grandparents. However, Texas law does not grant automatic visitation rights to grandparents. Visitation is only granted when the court deems it to be in a child’s best interests as well as under certain circumstances.

These circumstances include:

  • When the child’s parents are divorced
  • When a parent has abused or neglected a child
  • When a parent has died
  • When a parent has been imprisoned
  • When a parent has been found incompetent
  • When a parent has a history of alcohol or substance abuse
  • When the parent-child relationship has been legally terminated
  • When the child has resided with a grandparent for a minimum of six months

Even in the above circumstances, it may be difficult to obtain visitation rights to your grandchild(ren). 

Grandparents’ Rights in Child Protective Services (CPS) Cases

As mentioned above, the need to gain temporary care of a grandchild may arise out of investigations and rulings about the fitness of parents in CPS cases. In such cases, you can request to be the caretaker of your grandchild(ren) until custody is restored to parents. To seek permanent custody of grandchild(ren) is a more complicated matter. It involves termination of parental rights through legal order and substantial proof to CPS that you have established an ongoing relationship with the child(ren) based on regular contact.

Set up a case evaluation concerning your potential grandparents’ rights case by contacting The Pall Law Firm at (361) 298-3435 or by using our online request form

  • “I had a family member use Ashley for a legal situation, and she was very professional in the entire situation. I would highly recommend her to friends if that were seeking legal advice.” - Mariah L.
  • “She followed up on everything that she stated she would follow up on, and kept in contact on everything. Very realistic about the outcome.” - Dawn L.
  • “She is more concerned about the client and is very compassionate. She always has the best interest for her clients.” - Nicole P.