Modifications of Existing Orders

Modifications Lawyer in Victoria County, TX

Life is about change and, in the months or years following family court orders issued by a judge, your circumstances or that of your children can easily shift. This may involve financial, health, or other factors that may be substantial. In these cases, the new circumstances can make your current child custody, child support, or spousal maintenance unfair or no longer viable. When this happens, you may need to seek a modification of the order through the court. These changes can heavily affect your child’s stability, which is why you must have a valid reason for a modification. 

At The Pall Law Firm, we are here to help you navigate the modification process. We can advise you on how Texas law relates to your situation, prepare your case, and represent you before the family court judge. Our firm will do everything possible to make your custody or support order align with your current needs. Backed by 15 years of experience, we have a deep understanding of what is required in modification cases and how best to convey that in search of a favorable outcome,

Need to make changes to your family court order? Contact our Victoria County modifications attorney online or at (361) 298-3435. We also serve clients in the Texas counties of Jackson, DeWitt, Goliad, and Calhoun.

Modifications of Family Court Orders in Texas

When seeking to change a child custody order, you generally must wait for at least a year from when the original order was issued. You must also show the court that a “material and substantial” change in circumstances occurred that justifies such a modification. Examples of this could be your need to relocate to another city, state, or country for a better job or for remarriage. In that case, you will have to prove to the court that such a relocation is in your child’s best interests. Other examples could include a grandparent seeking custody after parental death or the termination of parental rights by the court. 

Alimony payments or child support payments can also be modified when income or other obligations have substantially changed. 

Modification of Child Support Payments

You can only modify child support payments in Texas in the following situations:

  • It has been three years since the order or last modification was issued.
  • A difference of 20 percent or $100 in the payment amount exists between your proposed modification amount and that which would fall under child support guidelines.
  • Your circumstances have changed in a material or substantial way. 

Significant changes in circumstances could include an increase or decrease in the supporting parent’s income, additional children that need support by the supporting parent, changes to a child’s health care coverage, or a major change in custody arrangements. 

In order to start the modification process, you must file a petition with the court. This will be followed by court proceedings that may go to trial if the modification is disputed by the parties.

If you are in need of a modification, contact The Pall Law Firm online or at (361) 298-3435 today. 

  • “I had a family member use Ashley for a legal situation, and she was very professional in the entire situation. I would highly recommend her to friends if that were seeking legal advice.” - Mariah L.
  • “She followed up on everything that she stated she would follow up on, and kept in contact on everything. Very realistic about the outcome.” - Dawn L.
  • “She is more concerned about the client and is very compassionate. She always has the best interest for her clients.” - Nicole P.